decoration, DIY

Light up the skyline.

October 18, 2013

Do you know that feeling when you are home from traveling for about a week and you have wanderlust already? Me neither. Just kidding. That’s exactly how I feel. Especially since I was in Amsterdam. Did I mention that I love this city? Probably. One or two times. But since my time and money don’t allow me to go, I created an homage to this city.

Amsterdam_mason_jar_skylight_DIY

This time I forgot to take pictures of the supplies. However I made something with similar supplies for We Love Handmade and I will just borrow that image. Just image that there’s a mason jar in the picture as well. You’re this creative. That’s what I thought.

Amsterdam_skyline_light_supplies

– black vinyl foil
– white paper
– a pencil
– a scissor
– a scalpel
– a cutting board
– masking tape
– no chalk but a mason jar

I created for you an Amsterdam_skyline_template that you can use but you can create every design that you like. Just make sure that it’s as big as the scope of the glass.

1. Create your template and cut it out. You don’t have to cut out the windows as it will save you time when you only do it once. It works perfectly if you cut them out once you have it on the vinyl.

2. Cut a piece from the vinyl foil that’s a little bigger than the template and stick it on with the masking tape.

Amsterdam_skyline_cutting_board

3. Now comes the time consuming part: cut the shape out from the foil. Especially the tiny windows were tricky but you don’t have to do them if you don’t want to.

4. Stick it on the mason jar. My boyfriend helped me here. I just pulled of the paper from the back of the vinyl foil and laid it flat on the table. Now roll the mason jar over the skyline and voilá! You’re done!

This was the inspiration:

Amsterdam_skyline

Amsterdam_light_on_off_DIY

The good thing about having the skyline go all the way around the glass is that it will form some nice shadows that look like the houses.

Amsterdam_skyline_light_night

• Reply Anjana @ At The Corner Of Happy & Harried October 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm

That is so clever and cute!

• Reply kirstykoevort October 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hendricks! My favourite. Great idea to use the bottle.

• Reply Sarah October 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

This is the inly way I can cope that the bottle is empty… just kidding. I already have a new one.

• Reply kirstykoevort October 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Haha! I know that feeling. I really want a gin and tonic now.

• Reply Alexandra October 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Lovely idea! 🙂

• Reply susanklement October 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This is a really awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Vanessa October 22, 2013 at 4:43 am

Pretty! Great idea 🙂

• Reply spoolish October 22, 2013 at 5:11 am

This is great! So creative. I think I may have to do a couple of these in different colours and sizes for my night stand:)

• Reply Sarah October 22, 2013 at 7:34 am

Good idea! I’m quite happy how it turned out. Although I have to admit it was quite time-consuming – especially the tiny windows.

Please take pics once you’re done. I’d love to see your take.

• Reply On display: Autumn decoration. | Look what I made! November 15, 2013 at 8:39 pm

[…] of course my Amsterdam skyline light. I’m so fond of this and it will light me up my all winter through. Get it? Light me up. Me […]

• Reply Marlene (@jadeandfern) November 26, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Wow, I love this project! I want to make a bunch for my favorite cities’ skylines! Now if only I’ll have the patience to do all that cutting…

• Reply Sarah November 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Oh yeah, I did it while watching my favourite series. It’s astonishing how well one can follow the plot while actually not watching at all. 😉

• Reply On display: A Christmas box. | Look what I made! December 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm

[…] The Amsterdam skyline had to be in here as well – of course. Still one of my most favourite DIY. […]

• Reply Amanda Formaro February 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Love this! Since Facebook is notorious for not letting page owners know when I tag them, I thought I would stop by myself and let you know I featured this post and my readers loved it! https://www.facebook.com/CraftsbyAmanda/photos/a.353593675216.349539.323548680216/10153844541840217/?type=1&stream_ref=10

• Reply Sarah February 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Yes, Facebook is horrible for this! Thank you for letting me know. This made my day!

• Reply Sarah February 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

280 likes and 66 shares?! this is amazing!

• Reply Skyline Votive | Mason Jar Crafts Love February 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm

[…] can find out how to make your own skyline votive by visiting Look What I Made. Just click here […]

• Reply 10 Easy Last Minute Halloween DIY Projects - Heart Handmade uk April 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

[…] Fabulous! I love all of the houses in Amsterdam, they’re so high and slim. From ‘Look What I Made‘ […]

• Reply Κηροπήγιο για ρεσώ εμπνευσμένο από Αμστερνταμ! – missy tips September 8, 2014 at 10:31 pm

[…] Δες όλο το project ΕΔΩ! […]

• Reply DIY silhouette lanternLOOK WHAT I MADE … November 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

[…] you follow this blog for quite some time, you might have noticed the similarity to this project and you’re totally right! I can’t hide what idea sold them from you! I just made it […]