What surprises me most about trying new recipes is how easy preparing some food is once you get around to give it a try. For example: preserving. It’s so easy to make and you can pull it out throughout the year. It also makes great presents when you forgot a birthday or for that one person that’s hard to give.
I never thought that making cream cheese could be that easy. Well, it’s a little hack because I start with yogurt to begin with.
- 250 g greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dried herbs
- olive oil
- Put a cloth over a bowl and form a little hollow.
- Place the yogurt onto it and mix it well with the salt and herbs.
- Let it rest for 8 h in the fridge.
- It should have lost so much moisture that it's malleable.
- Form balls and put it into a sealable jar.
- Pour olive oil over it and seal it well.
The right consistency is key to form those balls: it should be solid enough to roll them but not too dry. So here you see what my cream cheese looked like before and after resting in the fridge.
I’ve made only these two jars that you see in the picture, and they were gone in no time! They are so good. Perfect to spread on some bread or to jazz up your summer salad. Now that I know how easy it is to make, I’ll be making it much more.
Also, I used the same recipe with a little less resting time to make a dip. It’s so good!
Now. Carry on!