Food, Preserving

Strawberry chutney recipe.

June 17, 2014

The story how I made strawberry chutney is quite funny. Not actually the story about making it but what happened afterwards. It all started a year ago when my boyfriend and I collected about 5 kg of strawberries. The thing was that neither my boyfriend nor I like strawberry jam, so we both thought it’s a good idea to make strawberry chutney. And that I did. I cut 1 kg of strawberries for this and when I finished cooking it, I tasted it. And it tasted horrible. Yes, really. You could even say disgusting. So I was bumped (of course). Even more when I let my boyfriend try it and he almost spit it out. That was a little harsh! I have feelings too, you know. And I just spent an hour in the kitchen (plus monitoring time while it cooked for 3 hours). I was so disappointed. But. Because I just invested 1 kg of strawberries, I just couldn’t bring myself to throw it away. So I put it in our pantry (it’s a storage room but pantry sounds much nicer and more appropriate to store the worst nightmare of a chutney). And then I forgot about it. Well, that’s not exactly true. I did see the jars occasionally but I quickly looked the other way not to get reminded of my big failure. Then – after 1 year – I thought it was time to be brave and throw it out. I opened one jar and thought I try it one last time before trashing it and I tasted – and it tasted like heaven! Yes, really. It was soooo good!

strawberry-chutney-cheese-sandwich

Promise me you’ll make it as well. I want you to have a taste and be as surprised and delighted as I was.

– 1 kg strawberries
– 230 g sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 onions
– 1 small chili
– a piece of ginger (about the size of a thumb)
– 200 ml vinegar
– some pepper

Wash the strawberries and cut them into pieces. Put them into a pot with the sugar and salt and let it marinate for about 30 mins. Cut the onions, chili and ginger into small pieces and add them to the strawberries. Bring the pot to the boil and add the vinegar. Let it cook for about 2-3 hours until the mixture thickens and gets a dark red color. Season with the pepper. Wash jars with boiling hot water and put the hot chutney into the jars. Close the lid tightly and turn them upside down to cool. The heat of the chutney will tighten the metal lids around the glass and make it therefore vacuum-tight. Let the chutney rest for at least 4-6 weeks.

strawberry-ginger-chili-chutney strawberry-ginger-chili-chutney-recipe

I gave it my boyfriend to try it too and out of the 4 glasses I made there is only a little left. We ate it like crazy with everything the last weeks – our favorite use is cheese and strawberry chutney. Goat cheese to be exact. I could bath in it. So good.

strawberry-chutney-easy-recipe

Have you ever made something that turned out other than you expected?

strawberry-chutney-cheese-bread-recipe

If you wonder: I made chutney with another kilogram of strawberries this year. It’s just such a shame that we are about to run out of it pretty soon and I have to wait for so long for it to become this delicious again. Anticipation is the greatest joy, so they say. Right? Well I hope so!

• Reply jessaherself June 17, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Your are such a brave girl! Just because for not trashing it instantly and not slapping your boy for making such a face and for tasting it again, after such a long time.
    Looks yummie, too.

• Reply Sarah June 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Ha, finally somebody that thinks of me as brave! You share that thought probably only with my mum – and she has too.

Thank you for the compliment!

• Reply Anna June 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Hey! I have a superb receipe of a strawberry ginger soup (invented by me last summer)! Would you probably like to try smth new and cook it? I could share a receipe, or we could even meet up and cook it together (i’m in Vienna too). Anna

• Reply Sarah June 17, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Hi Anna,

I would love to try something new. Ginger and strawberry soup sounds intriguing. Would you share the recipe with me?

• Reply Anna Lockhart June 18, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I invented that when I bought too much strawberries and they started getting spoiled. So I needed to get use of them all very quickly.
        I blended them in a blender, added some packaged strawberry juice (to make it liquid like a proper soup), and lots of powdered ginger. You might wish to add some sugar as well – depending on how sweet are your strawberries. I let the mixture boil, and served it with vanilla ice cream. A perfect recipe! Carry on!

• Reply Sarah June 18, 2014 at 6:57 pm

sounds great! I’ll try it.

• Reply Strawberry chutney sandwich. - LOOK WHAT I MADE ...LOOK WHAT I MADE … August 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm

[…] when I told you that I made strawberry chutney which became my favorite preserving recipe ever?! The one that I […]

• Reply Margaret August 11, 2015 at 7:53 pm

August 2015 and just made this for Christmas this year as thought I would give it plenty of time to mature. Looks great and had to lick the spoon when finished jarring. Very spicy and peppery but sure it will mellow with time. Will update after Christmas when opened and eaten no doubt 🙂

• Reply sarah August 11, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Wow, Margaret, I’m impressed. That’s really organized! Let me know how it turned out. 🙂

• Reply Margaret August 12, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Will do but thatis only if I can keep my hands off it till Christmas :). I remember making a kiwi chutney a few years ago with 2 big bags of reduced ones from the supermarket and that was soooo good.

• Reply sarah August 13, 2015 at 11:37 am

I would hide the chutney – it’s really good only after at least 6 weeks! 🙂 I’ve never tried chutney with kiwi – sounds interesting though. Maybe something to try?!

• Reply 12 fantastic strawberry recipes | LOOK WHAT I MADE ...LOOK WHAT I MADE … June 24, 2016 at 5:26 pm

[…] that I just made recently – with 1.5 kg of strawberries. Yes, I am scared that I run out of strawberry chutney sandwich soon after strawberry season. Make your own badge and have some great presents […]