Food, Sweet Baking

Plum job.

August 30, 2013

I’m back home. Yeah, back at my parents house. Forth and back. It’s my sisters 30th birthday (no, not this sister nor that one – I have more than 2.). (A lot of anniversaries this year, I guess. My grandpa’s 80th, my uncles 50th and my sisters 30th birthday.) It was her birthday on Monday actually but Monday is probably the worst day for a birthday. Don’t you think? Because I couldn’t celebrate with her, I made a cake on Sunday that I just ate in her honour. Yes, I’m this selfless, considerate and self-sacrificing. And humble.

Because I had plums at home and marzipan I made this delicious sheet cake:

plum_sheet_cake_recipe

– 100 g butter (room temperature)
– 100 g sugar
– 100 g marzipan
– 3 eggs
– pinch of salt
– 1 Tbsp Vanille sugar
– 100 g flour
– 25 g corn starch
– 1 Tbsp baking powder
– 1 kg plums
– dust sugar and cream for decoration

Preheat the oven to 175° C and cut the washed plums into quarters.

plums_for_sheet_cake_cut

Grate the marzipan with a rough grater and mix with the butter, sugar, salt and Vanille sugar until it’s a smooth mixture. Add one egg at a time and combine well. Stir the flour, corn starch and baking powder and sieve it into the butter-egg-maripan-mixture. Combine slowly and pour the mixture on a baking tray or a flat baking dish. Add the plums to the top.

plum_marzipan_cake_before_baking

Bake at 175° C for 40 mins. As soon as it’s out of the oven sieve the powder sugar on the cake as long as it’s hot. The moist plums will dissolve the sugar while the dry cake will look nicely powdered.

plum_marzipan_sheet_cake_baked

Now enjoy this moist and delicious plum marzipan sheet cake.

plum_marzipan_sheet_cake_recipe_piece

Best served slightly warm with cream on the side.

plum_marzipan_sheet_cake_piece2

plum_marzipan_sheet_cake_recipe

• Reply Aly GarlicHands August 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Now that looks absolutely gorgeous! I don’t bake well but Im dying to try this.

• Reply Sarah August 30, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Please try it, it’s really so easy!

• Reply grtescp September 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

that sounds delicious – two of my favourite things – plums and marzipan!

• Reply jeannietay September 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

Lovely plums, we only see the red ones here…yummy!

• Reply argone September 4, 2013 at 10:55 am

So yummy … I love the plate too ! thank you for the recipe 🙂

• Reply Sarah September 4, 2013 at 11:05 am

The plate is from my boyfriends grandma… really Vintage in this case. 🙂

• Reply Mimi September 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

I tried this yesterday and it was delicious!! The dough was so light and fluffy. It perfectly soaked up all the plum juices. Oh and not to forget the decadent almondy note you get from the marzipan! 🙂

• Reply Sarah September 12, 2013 at 11:41 am

Wow, thank you for letting me know. I’m very pleased that it worked for you. It’s definitily one of my favourite cakes now (especially considering it’s so easy to make!).

• Reply You’re a peach. | Look what I made! September 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm

[…] actually promised my sister the plum marzipan cake but I couldn’t do it without butter. She was pretty disappointed, so I might have to make it […]

• Reply Top 10 of 2013: Recipes. | Look what I made! January 3, 2014 at 8:36 pm

[…] actually surprised that this plum sheet cake made the cut into the top 10. It’s such a simple cake but I guess that intrigued. Also the […]