Decoration, decoration, DIY

Light up houses.

December 5, 2014

In a former job we had this custom that during Advent we listened to Christmas music. This might sound fun and festive but it was the opposite. Everybody was allowed to choose 10 songs and this was made into a playlist and blasted out all day every day. Can you imagine hearing the same songs over and over again? And there were some treasures like Slovakian corals or Rammstein. It was torture. Which was its name as well. We called the custom Christmas torture. So this makes it even more weird that I miss it. I have a really hard time to get into the Christmas spirit.

DIY milk cardboard boxes houses light decoration

What always helps? Faking it. Fake it ’till you feel it, right? I started with baking cookies, making an Advent calendar and now I continue with decoration.

milk-cardboard-boxes-houses-supplies

– cardboard boxes in different sizes
– a cutter
– white spray paint
– a black pen
– tea lights

milk-cardboard-boxes-painting

Spraypaint the cardboard boxes and let them dry completely.

DIY cardboard houses lights

Cut wholes of the shape of windows and doors into the boxes.

DIY cardboard houses

Outline the holes with the black pen to make them more visible.

milk-cardboard-boxes-tealight-skyline

Cut holes in the back to cardboard for the candles to fit in. Add the candles, light them and voilá! You just made DIY cardboard houses lights.

milk-boxes-light-skyline

milk-cardboard-boxes-light-skyline-diy-tutorial

milk-cardboard-light-houses-diy

They look great with the smaller tea lights. It’s actually bright enough. I was worried and bought the bigger tea lights as well but didn’t need them after all.

milk-boxes-light-houses-diy

What’s the best thing: they complete my nice sheep picture I got from my boyfriend and they look great during the day as well.

milk-cardboard-houses-diyNow. Carry on!

• Reply Pauline December 5, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Love the sheep picture! Also the little houses – very cute! It is always very cheering to read your blog.

Pauline (UK)

• Reply Operation Shape Shift December 7, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I love the houses!

• Reply Teea December 9, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Oh how cute are these!! I need to try to make some of those by myself. And nice blog, by the way!

• Reply sarah December 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Thank you, that’s very sweet. I’m sure you’ll make some nice houses as well. It’s easy-peasy.

• Reply Imogene December 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I love them ! I would never have thought of making houses with milk boxes, you’re so smart !

• Reply Origami stars LED garland. | LOOK WHAT I MADE ...LOOK WHAT I MADE … December 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm

[…] one thing that nobody though of: light. Light can set the mood like nothing else and since my light up houses are not really christmas-y I stepped up the game and made an origami stars LED […]

• Reply Heather May 23, 2015 at 3:41 am

Hey, sorry to seem like ‘debbie downer’ (lol), but are the candles safe in the cardboard boxes?

• Reply sarah May 23, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Not at all, Heather! That’s a valid questions.

It’s totally safe. The cardboard boxes are lined with aluminum and therefore can’t catch fire. The bottom gets a little warm though. So don’t place it on a delicate surface. 🙂

Hope this helps. If you make your own and share it on Social Media please be sure to tag it with #lwim_diy so I can find and see it. 😉

Make my day. Post a comment.