DIY, Food

Ice flowers.

August 24, 2013

I hate that the blogosphere and magazines talk about autumn. It’ not here yet! Don’t start me thinking about it! I want to enjoy summer as long as I can. This is also why I wore jeans shorts and skirts the last week although I’ve been freezing. I trust the sun too much I guess. If it’s shining I expect temperatures of 30Β° C and more. Now she spoiled me and then she disappoints. Isn’t it always like that? First they make you get used to chocolate and cooked meals and then they just don’t do it anymore. From one day to another I’m all alone with my cravings. I’m in a complaining mood as you can see. The only thing that helps now is chocolate. Or flowers. Don’t you think that looking at flowers brightens the mood (not as much as chocolate though but I’m feeling generous).

So for the last days of summer I made flower ice cubes. Enjoy the last warm sunsets with an ice-cold drink with flowers floating around.

flower_ice_cubes_landscape

All you need are little eatable flowers like borage and begonia, water and a few hours time.

flower_ice_cubes_borage

While borage doesn’t taste like much but looks pretty in different shades of purple and blue, begonia tastes a little sour and blooms pink.

The trick with making the flowers is to put them in the ice cube tray and fill only half with water. Wait until they are frozen and add some more water. That way the flowers are in the middle of the ice cube and not on one end. (Otherwise the flowers will float and escape to quickly from the ice cube once put into a drink.)

flower_ice_cubes_tray

flower_ice_cubes_tray_detail

My dad took this pictures for me since I made the ice cubes at home with flowers from my parents garden and I had to leave before I could enjoy a drink. Before you have too much pity with me though: I’m going home for another weekend soon and I’m determined to make some more and really enjoy them.

flower_ice_cubes_setting

Until then I just dream looking at these pictures.

flower_ice_cubes_jug

Next time I try to boil the water first and let it cool before adding to the ice cube tray. I’ve read somewhere that this way the water stays clear. I’ll let you know how the experiment goes.

borage_flower_ice_cube

With the evening sun shining through I think they are still very (very!) pretty. What do you think?

pink_flower_ice_cubes

If you don’t have any of these flowers that I used at home, you can also use daisies. Did you know that they are eatable too?

flower_ice_cubes_portrait

• Reply Estafane August 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm

If you live like me in the hot South; autumn is something to look forward to…

• Reply Camelia August 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm

flowers in ice cubes is a pretty idea, I’ll try it! and don’t worry, summer is still here! πŸ˜€

• Reply Anjana @ At The Corner Of Happy & Harried August 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

That’s so pretty! I love summer too and hate seeing autumn posts already!!

• Reply jennengstudio August 26, 2013 at 1:47 am

Thank you for say that! It’s still summer damn it, so let’s enjoy it while it’s still here πŸ˜‰ I love the flower in ice idea. Makes for a beautiful drink!

• Reply Wolves in London August 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

Oh wow, those are really beautiful. I totally agree on the summer front too — it’s August for heaven’s sake! Not only do I keep seeing carved pumpkins everywhere, but I’ve been seeing a lot of Christmas preparations going on too. Christmas! It’s still four months away!

• Reply Sarah August 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

Christmas? This is crazy! It’s getting earlier and earlier that I keep seeing Christmas decoration and cookies too. Let’s fight for more summer. Although the weather keeps disappointing on this front…

• Reply Wolves in London August 26, 2013 at 9:41 am

I know, it actually alarms me that people are getting ready for Christmas already. Am I the only one who plans all my presents one week in advance?! (I’m not really complaining, though, as one of blog posts about homemade presents from last Christmas has suddenly become popular again, so I guess I should be grateful that everyone out there is much more organised than me, ha ha.)

Love your blog by the way, just found it through Craftgawker. So many inspiring projects and really beautiful photographs too. I’ll be following along for sure…

• Reply Sarah August 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thank you, your support and compliments means a lot! I’m sure checking out your blog. Looks lovely.

• Reply andmorefood August 27, 2013 at 3:23 am

such a beaiutiful idea! I also like to freeze flowers in ice bowls πŸ˜€

• Reply Balm calms. | Look what I made! September 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

[…] do you think of this cheesy photo background? I was in need for some cheesy-ness. I also added the flower ice cubes. Just because I […]

• Reply raebugg October 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love this! So beautiful. I want to make these for a bridal shower… If I make them ahead of time.. Say a few days will the flowers keep there color? How long will the cubes last in my freezer?

• Reply Sarah October 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

I still have some from back when I made the first badge and they still look the same. I think (but more than the 2 month I don’t have any experience) that they will last for half a year in the freezer. At least!

Thank you for choosing this for the bridal party. I feel very honoured!

Make my day. Post a comment.